What is PST file
PST, a short form of Personal Storage Table is storage unit for saving emails, important files, calendars, events and many more. It is a unique feature of Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft Outlook is an email client application used for sending and receiving emails. Outlook application is one of the popular email services used in the organizations to exchange lots of information. A PST file contains lots of emails messages, files and other items in folders. On creating a PST, it is either stored on computer’s hard disk drive or server you have to access to.
Creating a number of PST files allow you to save many data and move them around like other files. However, the problem may arise when you move from one Outlook version to another and it becomes quite difficult for you to manage multiple PST files. This problem can be resolved by merging the PST files.
Why is the need to merge PST file
Usually, the need to merge PST files is not raised by normal or home users but by large organizations where email is the basic source of communication. Because of the following reasons, merging PST file pop ups rapidly –
- Due to limited size of PST file (2GB for ANSI and 20GB for Unicode)
- Multiple emails are accessed by single user on different computers.
- Handling the previous emails of old employees.
- Switching from one version to another.
How to merge PST files together
In order to merge PST files into a single file, you can perform the manual steps as given below –
- Open up outlook 2007 application.
- Click on File -> Import and Export.
- In the Import and Export dialog box, click on ‘Import from another program or file’ and then click on Next button.
- Select the Outlook Data File and click on Next button in the Import dialog box.
- Click on the option ‘Do not import duplicates’.
- Click Browser button.
- Find and select .pst file you do not open in Outlook and now click on Open button.
- Click Next button in Import Data File dialog box.
- Click on ‘Import items into same folder in’ option and then click Finish button.
Third party tool
However, in case, the above stated steps do not work for you then you can use a third party tool to quickly merge PST files without any hassle.