Microsoft Outlook rarely depends on Exchange Server for email services instead it uses its own personal folder called PST file for storing mailbox data. PST stands for personal storage table (.pst) is an open file format used to store emails, calendars, notes, events and other items. In other words, you can say, PST file is mainly created by Microsoft Outlook to move and copy emails and its attachments, calenders, notes, events and many other things from your Server mailbox account to your PC or laptop. It acts as a local archive or storage file which you create to store email and related attachments on computer’s hard drive, server share or USB drive depending on where you create it.
- It is easy to use. Just create .PST file and simply drag and drop your mails into it. It works like a regular mailbox in Outlook.
- Storing emails into PST folder enables faster and instant accessing of mails via built-in search features in Outlook 2007.
- PST file is useful and ensures that all your emails are recoverable in case when email server has not made any copy of your emails.
- PST files provide easy portability of emails from one location to another.
What are the problems in finding PST file location?
PST file, sometime due to errors causes problem when you try to locate them in your Outlook. You search for it at every location in your Outlook 2007 but unable to locate it. PST file can generate errors when it is damaged or deleted.
- Virus attack can corrupt your PST file.
- Unintentionally deleted PST file.
- Bad sectors in memory where PST file was saved.
- Improper functioning of Outlook 2007.
Solution for finding PST file location
By default location of PST file depends on the version of MS Outlook you are running. Hence, the location of PST file in Outlook 2007 and 2010 in your AppData is –
Otherwise, you can also manually find out the PST file location. Just follow the simple steps given –
- Click on Tools menu and then select Options in Outlook 2007.
- In the Options dialog box, click on Mail setup tab.
- Now click on Data Files button.
- Here, Account Settings window will open. Goto Data Files Tab and choose the account which you want to investigate.
- Then click on Open File Location button.
- File Explorer window will be opened by Outlook containing your PST file.